Creamy Risotto with Asparagus
In this recipe, we are sharing with you one of my favorite versatile Italian dishes; Easy Vegan Risotto Recipe!
As you probably know it, Italian cuisine is my husband’s expertise and my all-time favorite cuisine! What a coincidence right? 😂
A lot of people find it very hesitant to cook risotto because it has a reputation of “complicated dish” but in today’s Easy Vegan Risotto Recipe, we are going to share with you the secret of how to make the perfect risotto.
We even made it simple by adding just one simple ingredient; asparagus!
We are cooking this recipe during the quarantine period because of CoronaVirus so we have very much limited ingredients at home and have to make use of what is available.
So without further ado, let us start cooking Risotto!
- 1 Cup of Arborio Rice (Risotto Rice)
- 5 Sticks of Asparagus
- 5 cups of Vegetable Broth (can be more depends on the rice)
- ½ cup of White Wine (Optional, you can replace it with the Vegetable Broth)
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- ½ Cup of Vegan Parmesan Cheese (Recipe Here)
- ½ cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Half of Lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Prepare your Ingredient.
Make the vegetable broth, if you already have a broth you can skip this step.
Break off the hard part of the Asparagus Stems.
Cut the Asparagus Head, blanch them in hot water for a couple of seconds and then soak them in Icy Water and set aside.
Chop the rest of the Asparagus Stems into small pieces.
Mince the Onion.
In a pan, put Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Leave some for garnish) and cook the minced onion until golden brown.
Add crushed garlic and the Arborio Rice. Toast for a couple of seconds (not more than a minute)
Add ½ cup of white wine and let it evaporate. If you do not have, skip this process and use the broth instead.
Start adding Vegetable Broth gradually. Add more when the rice gets dry but not yet cooked.
Add Salt and Pepper to taste and more vegetable broth if needed.
When the rice is almost cooked, add the chopped Asparagus stems and cook it for another 3 minutes.
When rice and asparagus are cooked, you can switch off the heat. Add the Vegan Parmesan Cheese, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Squeeze half of Lemon.
Toss or mix it until well combined.
When ready, serve it with the asparagus head on top, some mint leaves and drizzle more Extra Virgin Olive oil. You may also add more Vegan Parmesan Cheese if you want.
Enjoy your Asparagus Risotto!
notes in cooking vegan risotto
- You can skip boiling the Vegetable Broth if you already have one, but heat it before adding it to the rice when cooking. This makes sure that you do not stop the cooking process of the rice.
- To know where the hard part of the Asparagus stem is, simply take the end of the asparagus between your thumb and forefinger and bend until it breaks.
- You do not need to cook the Asparagus Head, just blanch it in hot water for a couple of seconds and soak in icy water to stop the cooking. You can even eat it raw, which makes it healthier!
- When cooking the onion, make sure to do it in low heat to not burn it.
- You don’t need to wash the Arborio Rice, you must add it dry to retain its sticky consistency. Washing the rice strips off the starch which is a key element to maintaining that classic creamy texture.
- Toasting the Arborio rice is a very important process to make the perfect Risotto. It creates a shell around its grain allowing it to absorb more moisture without getting saggy or pop like a kernel of popcorn.
- We used ½ cup of white wine in this recipe as it is a traditional step when making a risotto. The wine lends more flavor and a bit of acidity to the risotto which helps balance out its inherent richness, however, if you do not have white one, it is okay, you can just skip it and proceed to add the vegetable broth.
- When adding the broth, you must do it gradually. You do this to let the rice absorb the broth and let it release some of its starch to the remaining liquid.
- Cooking risotto does not have to be too long. You don’t have to spend more than 20 minutes to cook it. This makes sure that you have the perfect al dente texture of the rice.
There you have it, Vegans, I hope you enjoy this Easy Vegan Risotto Recipe with asparagus.
If you do, don’t forget to share it with your friends. You can also pin it in your Vegan Recipes Board on Pinterest.
Also, make sure to subscribe to our Newsletter so you will be one of the first to know when we post new recipes!
Spread the love vegans!
Did you try this recipe? Tag us on Instagram @cookmevegan and use hashtag #cookmevegan
More RECIPES you will like
want to read it for later? Pin it!
Follow us on Social Media
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL